Challenges with Climate Change

Migration has never been easy. The idea of leaving your home is rarely a comfortable thought, even when you are fleeing for your life. You would much rather have the troubles plaguing you leave, over having to leave, yourself. But sometimes, leaving is unavoidable.



Extreme climate change is one contributing factor to this unavoidable relocation. The map above shows how drastically the Earth's climate has changed in the last 140 years; the change is especially noticeable in the last 50 years.

Some efforts are being taken to limit further change, though scientists believe that a full reversal of the climate change is impossible. The United Nations has drawn up an agreement to recognize that climate change migration is real, an issue, and needs to be taken care of.

The 2015 Paris Agreement is a step in the direction of limiting further climate change; while the United States is the only country to pull out of the Paris Agreement, there are several states committed to maintaining the Paris Agreement, even without federal support.

Climate change is an issue that has gotten a larger spotlight recently, with sites such as Climigration providing frequent news updates.

Scientists first noticed changes in the climate in the early 1800s, with warnings that humans could contribute to climate change through greenhouse gases appearing less than a century later. And from there, scientists have largely been ignored, despite evidence. There are plenty of people today who don't believe in global warming.

I remember one of my high school teachers telling us that global warming was real, and quickly becoming a problem. In the same lesson, she told us that we were coming out of an ice age. I remember telling my dad what I learned in that class, and he told me my teacher was wrong, that we couldn't have global warming as an issue and be coming out of an ice age. I knew even then that my teacher had been correct, and my father incorrect--though I didn't bother to argue with him about it.

Comments

  1. I'm happy to hear that despite being pulled out of the Paris Agreement, there are still some states trying to follow its guidelines. I understand the frustrations of trying to communicate about what you learn about global warming to a loved one. My father doesn't really believe in it either, but that doesn't mean I won't stop learning or talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your map graphic is very effective. I ended up having very different political ideas than my father so I know a little of what you and Sydney are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your map! I think this was very effective for your whole blog. I liked how you added in the Paris agreement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Refugee

Exit West

Climate Change: Water problems